Friday, December 6, 2019

Bodfish Bingo...A Lowpoint and a Resolution

         Lake-bagging, one of my very favorite outdoor seasonal activities, is promoted by a game I created a decade ago called Bodfish Bingo, which is represented on a card I hand out from my Quiet Mountain Sports desk on request. Forty-nine spaces on a 7x7 grid that each represent a lake within twenty-five miles of Chester. To earn a point you must fully immerse your body in one of these lakes. You can only score on a lake once per season. You earn 2 points when you plunge naked and you can earn as many as 4 points if you have to remove ice before diving in nude. The scoring was developed by UBES in England's "lake district".
         I usually earn close to 20 points yearly in this thrilling endeavor. However, 2019 saw me earn a meager 6 points. One of my customers earned 32 points this year and completed a 'row of seven'...Bingo! She won a Bodfish sweatshirt! She described each visit to a lake and how it made her feel. This is required in order to win a prize. " I felt like I was Eve and the lake was my apple."...her description of diving in to Blue Lake.
         Here's where I need to make a New Year's resolution...in 2020 I need to score 20 points. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. A single day hike through Lassen National Park can result in 10 points if you plot it out correctly. I'm careful to slip in to the clear mountain water without being a nuisance or offending families. If you really want that extra point for immersing in the nude,  just ask those in attendance if "sans costume" would be a problem. We've seen whole families strip down and follow us in after expressing this courtesy.

1 comment:

  1. You just took me out of the kitchen and carried me to the mountains. Thanks

    ReplyDelete