Thursday, February 16, 2023

Let's Lean On The Upbeat News Here

Something I've never discussed before....How much I appreciate my internal combustion vehicles this century. I've purchased two brand new cars in my life. In 2009 I traded in my old clunker Ford F150 for a brand new Honda Element EX AWD 5 speed manual. It has proven to be a genius upgrade from my previous 2 used Jeep Grand Cherokees. It actually climbs my steep ice-covered driveway without hesitation every time I ask it to. I have driven it nearly 140,000 miles and it still runs like a young pup. Honda Elements have been out of production for a dozen years but, if they brought it back and it showed any semblance to the original design, I would run right down and purchase another. Two years ago we purchased a made-in-America Ford Transit 250 cargo van. It is an AWD high-roof Eco-boost dreamboat. We've converted it into a comfortable camper and it has proven to be an inspirational truck....making three/four day camping trips possible and comfortable. During an eight week evacuation from our burning national forest and neighboring communities, we thought of it as becoming a possible 'forever home'. We bought it knowing that it made adventuring with our dog and bicycles a real possibility. You can't go on bicycle rides leaving your animal in a hot little Honda. Little did we know that both vehicles would be utilized as life-savers when efficient transportation would be necessary for health emergencies and maintenence fromm health professionals whose offices are many hours down the road. There was a time when I thought we could make it through this life transporting ourselves by pedaling only. Not even close. We invested twelve years into the car-free lifestyle...I can see now that we were lucky to last that long without motor vehicle assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment