Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Swimming In My Own Sweat

        I've been known to sweat profusely...especially when laboring at my shop or climbing one of the local roads or trails when it's hovering in the 90's (because it never gets to 100 degrees in Chester). I can usually remedy this situation with a quick dip in the river, lake or even in my "cold plunge" hot tub at home. However, it's Winter and I'm thankful for any heat that develops in the bike shop.
        My mornings often include a 45 minute session in our TheraSauna. It's a corner cabinet of far- infrared heat therapy that has become a necessary part of my life. Not everyone can appreciate "the workout" it provides. In fact, not everyone can perspire freely...I've had a dozen different sauna buddies over the years and I'm amazed that only half of them have gotten seriously sweaty while we share this space.
        The conversations are often easy and free-flowing...just as the Finns claim, the sauna is a great place for people to expose their true feelings and concerns. Finnish parents utilize this valuable family time to keep track of their teenager's progress and concerns. I thank everyone who has spent time in the sauna with me. You are showing your love, trust and non-judgemental nature by sharing this time to evacuate the toxins with me in this intimate setting.
        The last couple of mornings in the sauna have been especially important. I've been moving kayaks, electric bicycles and furniture... and I've driven two thousand miles in the last week and a half. So, as you can imagine, a couple of hours of quiet sweaty meditation in the TheraSauna has been a life saver. Back, neck, shoulder and hip rehabilitation is an effective specialty of the far-infrared dry sauna and I need this kind of therapy four or five times a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment