Saturday, October 31, 2020

Trick or Treat...Enough Already

We've had some mean tricks played on us lately...I'm ready for some normalcy. Covid has found Plumas County here in October and more to the center of the target, it has found Chester, California...ten cases in the last 24 hours! We have several reasons to be afraid of this nasty bug and I am even questioning the wisdom of opening my business three days a week. "Don't let it dominate your lives."says the Joker. Guess what, It is a shadow over the health and well being of all of us and we cannot afford to deal with it. Every Halloween for the last 26 years we have handed out treats to at least 450 little gremlins from the front door of the bicycle shop here in Chester. I remember nasty encounters with the flu...haven't had any during the last decade, which is a miracle because I've only opted for a flu shot twice over that period. We now have pre-existing conditions (being 70 years old is one) that could result in serious setbacks for our happy life here in Chester. I am increasingly taken aback when someone dashes into my store without a mask and not a clue about the consequences of their carelessness. It happens...and I've started to show my frustration with this behavior in a ways inconsistant with my peaceful reputation as a caring and laid back downtown merchant. We have some hurdles to cross this Autumn and Winter and I am looking forward to a return of the good times that months of responsible diligence can bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment