Friday, January 12, 2024

You've Got to Show Up

If you don't show, you'll never know what could've been. This is my rationale for maintaining a "work week"...only three days in a row this time of year, but it's something. Yes, for twenty-nine years I've opened my bicycle store all Winter inspite of the fact that Winter months have never been profitable. I always thought that consistancy and reliability were worth a lot...right up there with honesty and integrity. I suppose this is why we survived as a bicycle shop for nearly thirty years. I am not sure what it all means...it has given me a "sense of purpose" and has kept me from getting into other types of trouble. I see that it won't be a business that I'll be passing on to my offspring. He has carved a much better niche for himself in the working world...a very independant soul with his own misssion in life. So, I have this property that I must sell. I had hopes of a continuation of my mission (to promote and encourage self-propulsion on two wheels) however, selling real estate tied to a mission is not as easy as I thought. "If someone wants to buy your property and turn it into a beauty salon you've got to accept that." That's where we're at here in the middle of January at 4,600ft. Snow on the ground, temperatures in the teens each morning and no one needing an innertube, or a helmet, or a new bicycle. Yes, it will get better in March and we'll barely be able to keep up with their needs in May. I guess I just needed a mid- Winter pep-talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment